Note: Bob Becker left WATE in January 2011.
Date of Joining WATE: December 1998
Birthplace/Hometown: Birthplace was New York City. Hometown was Monroe, N.Y., a small community about 45 miles from New York City.
- State University College at Oswego, N.Y.
- Orange County Community College, Middletown, N.Y.
Previous Media Experience:
- WICU-TV, Erie, Pa. - 1993-96
- KBMT-TV, Port Arthur-Beaumont, Texas - 1987-93
- KJAC-TV, Port Arthur-Beaumont, Texas - 1985-87
- WLOS-TV, Asheville, N.C. - 1982-85
- WDEF-TV, Chattanooga, Tenn. - 1980-82
- WUTR-TV, Utica, N.Y. - 1980
Being an animal lover, I have four dogs and six cats.
I enjoy singing and do so when I get the chance. I enjoy many types of music, especially Top 40 to what I call “Pop Country.” I think traveling and seeing other parts of this great country is a fun thing to do when you have some free time.
What You Enjoy About Local News:
I enjoy meeting people and the fact that being on the local news gives you the opportunity to communicate with many people in the community. It also gives you the opportunity to help charitable causes that you believe in, which is something I love to do.
Media Awards and Honors:
I have received the Seal of Approval on my weathercasts from both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. I have also received an award from the National Weather Service for keeping the public informed in 1988 when a major Hurricane threatened the Texas Gulf Coast where I was working. This award is probably my proudest moment in the many years I have been in television weather.