Sound Off Forum

This forum is now closed. We are no longer allowing new posts or user registrations. It will remain available for archival purposes. Thank you to everyone who participated in the discussion.

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 10:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: That poor dog!  (Read 15237 times)
Humminbyrd

Luke 12:27

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 04:37:41 AM »

newslady, any word on this?
Report to moderator   Logged

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís [or womanís] character, give him [or her] power." Abraham Lincoln
Big Dude
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »

Thanks to everyone who has offered their support for Bobo. On February 22, 2007 the grand jury in Campbell County, TN returned a not true bill in the animal cruelty case against Susan Baird, the woman who dragged the dog behind her SUV for almost a mile in December 2006. There remain large unpaid veterinary bills and boarding fees from the rescue group in charge of the dog's care and rehabilitation. DA Paul Phillips says that Baird will be required to pay those bills before she regains custody of the chihuahua. Bobo is alive and well at this time in the care of a local small dog rescue group.
 Cry
bigfanxx

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2007, 02:24:16 PM »

......February 22, 2007 the grand jury in Campbell County, TN returned a not true bill in the animal cruelty case ......

So "not true bill' means not guilty? 

No guilt = no probation = off scot-free?    Think she'll pay the costs to get her dog back?

mimifrmtn

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »

I just read on another news channel, the grand jury DID NOT indict her, all charges have been dropped, she may even get the dog back!!!!!
Woman of the Lake
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2007, 11:37:30 AM »

Cry
That's what I heard, too. What a sad situation.
bigfanxx

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »

............On February 22, 2007 the grand jury in Campbell County, TN returned a not true bill .........DA Paul Phillips says that Baird will be required to pay those bills before she regains custody of the chihuahua. ..............

Quoting Big Dude, who seems to have first-hand info, it looks like Baird is supposed to pay all the vet fees and boarding charges before Bobo is returned. 

Could the judge order Bobo returned to Baird without regard to the expense incurred by the vet?  That would seem unfair to the vet.  He mended Bobo, offered services to allow Bobo to recovery, and an foster home even offered a place to recuperate.  Baird owes all of them something! 

So can anyone confirm.... is she required to pay before Bobo is returned to her?

Sign me Curious
PinkDiva

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

OMG! This is an outrage! Never in my life have I lived in a place where Animal Cruelty is so prevalent! I guess it's Ok, that that STUPID woman did that to her dog?!!!!!  I love the way they said there's a web site to petition that she doesn't get her dog back, yet fail to give it out! Does anyone know what it is? If it's in this thread I wouldn't know, I skipped straight to this last page!

I DO NOT think she should be allowed to have that poor dog back PERIOD!!!!
mimifrmtn

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2007, 05:20:30 PM »

I am not real sure about this but it seems to me that since there are no charges against her it is as if nothing ever happened. The rescue group has no rights to hold the animal pending anything, there is nothing pending, she was not charged with abuse so they cannot petition for the animal to be removed from her care, there are no charges that would justify such an act.

That being said since she did not authorize any medical care for the dog she is not responsible for the debts incurred.
So...if she wants the dog and the rescue group does not give it back they themselves essentially could be charged with theft.
Woman of the Lake
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »

Mimi, You've made very logical points. Though Baird never authorized medical care for the dog, there wouldn't be a dog without the UNauthorized medical attention Bobo received.  Wink  You've really thought this through, but I sure hope you're wrong! The rescue group is straight up, and I am sure if required to hand the dog over to Baird they will (maybe begrudgingly) do what is legally required of them.
mimifrmtn

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »

PLease understand that I personally dont think this person should get the dog back, and I think she should have to pay for all the care. I was just stating what could now happen, she must really know someone for this to have gone away. IMO
Woman of the Lake
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »

Hey Mimi, I caught your drift originally.  Smiley I just meant to say I respect what you're saying because obviously you've got some common sense and you think these things through. I did some checking, and best I can discover, the lawmaker representing Campbell County in Nashville has the last name of Baird.  Undecided
Krissy

I love WATE's SOUND OFF Forum!

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2007, 01:56:25 PM »

i think i heard on the  radio that she has to paid $2,000 in  vet bills before she gets the dog back but i'm not sure.

i hope she just decides to let the dog go.
Percys Mom

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »

To everyone that is posting here, get busy and contact your lawmakers and lets get the laws changed. Our animal abuse laws are pitiful and need changing. We, the public can do this.
We need to get this put before the voters by a referendum, I'm convinced we can get tougher laws. But one person can't do it, we need all of you to help.
Let's not wait for another incident like this one, accident or not, to do something.
THE LAW MUST BE CHANGED AND WE CAN GET IT DONE!
bigfanxx

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »

OMG! This is an outrage! ............they said there's a web site to petition that she doesn't get her dog back, yet fail to give it out!............

The petition is no longer active as the Baird woman has been found "not guilty". 

Woman of the Lake
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »

OMG! This is an outrage! Never in my life have I lived in a place where Animal Cruelty is so prevalent! I guess it's Ok, that that STUPID woman did that to her dog?!!!!!  I love the way they said there's a web site to petition that she doesn't get her dog back, yet fail to give it out! Does anyone know what it is? If it's in this thread I wouldn't know, I skipped straight to this last page!

I DO NOT think she should be allowed to have that poor dog back PERIOD!!!!

Dear Outraged Pink Diva, The petition is no longer active. I think you're about three months behind! It started in December and was signed more than 5400 times by concerned animal lovers from around the world. Animal cruelty is an issue facing the entire world, not just good old East Tennessee. The best way to fight animal cruelty is to educate yourself by not skipping to the last page in the thread. A general discussion forum is not the place to educate yourself in the first place. Try www.hsus.org or www.pet-abuse.com just for starters. After you've read a little and become more educated and more outraged, we'd love to have you join us in trying to change animal cruelty laws in our great state.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: