Sound Off Forum

This forum is now closed. We are no longer allowing new posts or user registrations. It will remain available for archival purposes. Thank you to everyone who participated in the discussion.

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 02:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Judge says charter/term limits invalid  (Read 2098 times)
Forum Admin
Administrator
SOUND OFF All Star

« on: June 09, 2006, 06:05:16 PM »

From http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=5011424:
A judge has ruled the Knox County charter is invalid so term limits do not apply to county commissioners.

What do you think about the decision? Would you support a new charter that reapplies term limits to Knox County government?
Report to moderator   Logged

WATE.com Web Administrator
Humminbyrd

Luke 12:27

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »

Term limits? No. That's what voting is for. Age limits? Absoloutely!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís [or womanís] character, give him [or her] power." Abraham Lincoln
andy d

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:33:32 PM »

I am shocked by the ruling and its ramifications to Knox Co. government, now and past activities.

I am outraged by the five Commissioners that determined the very charter they served under for at least 2 terms was invalid ONLY when they needed a way to stay on the ballot! (Wasn't Billy Tindell on the committee that wrote the charter?)

The term limit vote in 1994 was overwhelmingly in favor of the limits. During the primary, Knoxville saw an incredible write-in response to the potential to run for an office that was held by an incumbent, which is known to be very difficult to unseat.

This is what our local government is supposed to do, that is, to allow everyone an equal opportunity to serve the community.  We are not served well by career politicians, who apparently become self serving in their quest to stay in office.  Let us hope that some of these primary write-in candidates will be able to run in August in some capacity.

I am sure we will be dismayed by the ramifications of this ruling, far beyond the commissioners. 

The "filthy five" commissioners will be regretting this course of action and this being the legacy of their political careers.

Andy D.

KnoxVoter

mmmm.....voter apapthy.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 03:26:33 AM »

Well, Itís 3:15 in the morning and I donít know if itís the pork tip indigestion or the fact that the dark ages have fallen upon Knox County political scene, but something is making me feel nauseous. Time for the sweet sweet smell of good ole boy politicin. As a district 1 demo, am I supposed to vote for Diane Jordan? God, I have voted Republican before but what is the point to voting for one in this district. Time for some Pepto Bismol. I know one thing, I am voting Tyree for sheriff and Andrews in hopes that some justice can be done. Good night.

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: